Whether your heating and cooling systems are old, inefficient or in need of repair, if may be time to consider replacing them. Before you settle on a new system, we’ve compiled this guide to make sure you are asking your HVAC company the right questions!
1. Are there new technologies I should consider? Smart-thermostats, ductless systems, etc.
2. How efficient will my new HVAC system be? Consider lifetime operating costs, not just the upfront price, when weighing your options.
3. Will my utility bills go down with a replacement? Next to your mortgage, utility bills are among the highest costs of operating a household. If you’re considering updating your system, it’s important that you request an estimate from a qualified, professional HVAC company.
4. Does my preferred HVAC system qualify for a tax credit? 2016 Federal Tax Credits include 10% of the cost up to $500.
5. Can the current installed ductwork be used? The condition of your ductwork, such as leaks or blockages, should be evaluated during your replacement estimate.
6. What filter types are offered? Air filters come in disposable and washable varieties, and some, like HEPA filters, can improve indoor air quality and protect your family’s health.
7. What size system do I need? Simply matching your existing system’s specifications may not be your best buy, especially if you’ve added on to your home.
8. Are there any special offers or rebates I can claim? System manufacturers often have rebate times throughout the year. If you don’t need an emergency replacement, shop smart during interim seasons (spring, fall).
9. Does the HVAC company have a service plan to maintain and protect my system? Even the best installed, most efficient equipment requires routine maintenance. Having a maintenance agreement helps assure your system is ready no matter the weather change.
10. Should I get a second opinion? If you feel unsure about your HVAC company’s diagnosis, deciding on whether to replace or upgrade can be an overwhelming decision. Don’t feel like you’re alone! BNG will give a FREE second look at any HVAC replacement recommendation.
Replacing your heating and/or cooling system is a big investment, but it’s also a great opportunity to improve your home’s comfort, air quality, and energy efficiency. If you’re ready to talk about a new system or get your FREE second opinion, give us a call at 812.858.4000 today!